|By Roger Strukhoff||
|September 14, 2012 08:00 AM EDT||
You could say I believe in cloud computing. You could say the same for anyone reading this article. And you could say the same for anyone attending or exhibiting at the upcoming Cloud Expo.
We've now moved well beyond the basic question, "what is cloud computing?"
But I'm curious: what is a cloud computing education? How should college students, mid-career technologists, and senior executives be informed, trained, and certified? Should there be such a thing as a cloud computing major and post-grad cloud computing studies?
These questions spring to mind as I prepare to deliver a short seminar on the topic at the Tau Institute, a small research organization I've co-founded in two locations: my Illinois hometown and Manila, Philippines.
There is certainly a global aspect to cloud computing, now that we're in an era where technological advancement happens simultaneously (if unevenly) throughout the world.
But more important is the idea of a universal foundation to cloud. What should people know, and when should they know it?
I'm participating in a new podcast series called Run!, which tackles the subject of "what we do with technology and what it's doing to us." We recorded an episode last night in which a major cloud company CTO talked of dealing with three dozen platforms in his job.
Is there such a thing as a basic, standard cloud education? If so, what languages, frameworks, and general understanding should it encompass? Please let me know your thoughts, as I work to build such a thing - a cloud computing education/certification program - within the Tau Institute.
- Containers and Microservices at @CloudExpo New York By @IoT2040 [#Cloud]
- PaaS Can Light Up the World By @IoT2040 | @DevOpsSummit [#DevOps]
- Cloud is Stacking Up Nicely By @IoT2040 | @CloudExpo [#IoT #DevOps]
- Enterprise DevOps Activity By @IoT2040 | @DevOpsSummit [#DevOps]
- Ubuntu Snappy Core By @IoT2040 | @ThingsExpo [#IoT @Docker]
- Cloud: Datacenters, Meet Software! By @IoT2040 | @CloudExpo [#Cloud]
- People, Process & Technology at @CloudExpo By @IoT2040 | #IoT #Cloud #DevOps
- Andi Mann Outlines Vision | @DevOpsSummit @AndiMann #DevOps #Containers #Microservices
- Andi Mann @DevOpsSummit Chair | @AndiMann [#DevOps #Microservices]
- The Industrial Internet Arises By @IoT2040 | @ThingsExpo [#IoT]
- Flashback to January 2006: Exclusive SYS-CON.TV Interviews on "OpenAjax Alliance" Announcement
- Should RIM BlackBerries Be Rented?
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Silicon Valley Recovering Slowly
- i-Technology Viewpoint: SUNset?
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Open Source is Open to Debate
- Report From the Oracle/PeopleSoft Frontline: Alienating PeopleSoft
- i-Technology Viewpoint: The Five Dimensions of Blogs
- Software AG Chief SOA Architect Speaks
- WebSphere vs WebLogic: IBM and BEA Spar Over SPEC Results
- HP Analysis: Carly Fiorina Facing "A Skeptical Business Press"